By: 葛欣, 徐莉
Originally Published In: China
Language: Simplified Chinese
Pages per book: 30
Lines per page: 1-5
Price per book: $6.43
Among numerous Chinese festival picture books, JoJo selected this 7-book collection: 中国传统节日故事 (zhōng guó chuán tǒng jiē rì gù shì) Traditional Chinese Festivals.
Why we love these books:
- While most festival-themed stories are about tales and myth, these stories are centered around the comptemporary, everyday life of two siblings, 团团 and 圆圆. The pages are filled with today's holiday customs of a Chinese family.
- Readers are invited to discover the tales and traditions together with 团团 and 圆圆 as the siblings participate in festival activities and adventures.
- The stories include all seven major traditional festivals essential to the Chinese cultural experience.
- Adorable illustrations.
- Hands-on crafts are included for kids to make a New Year red envelop and a firecracker.
- Simple, short text and everyday expressions make it an easy read for non-native Chinese readers.
Book titles:《春节》The Spring Festival ( Lunar New Year)
《清明节》Qing Ming Festival (Tomb-Sweeping Day)
《端午节》Dragon Boat Festival
《七夕节》Qixi Festival (Valentine's Day)
《中秋节》Full Moon Festival
《重阳节》Double Ninth Festival ( Seniors' Day)
Is my child ready for this set?
"Read to me": Children ages 3+ will enjoy having these books read to them.
"Read by myself": The New Year vocabulary, relatively short text and everyday language make these books an ideal learning-to-read material for children ages 5+.