Who is Luka?
Do you want your child to enjoy Chinese books, but lack the time or ability to read with her?
Do you wish your child spent more time reading physical books, and less time staring into a screen?
Does a robot that addresses these concerns sound too good to be true? We thought so too...then we tried Luka.
Luka isn't perfect, but it comes a long way towards answering our prayers as parents raising Chinese-speaking children in an English-speaking country.
That is why, after inviting Luka into our own homes, we partnered with Luka's manufacturer to make it available in North America.
In-depth Luka Review
Luka recognizes each page of a picture book, in any order, and reads it aloud in an engaging human voice.
Luka collaborates with bestselling publishers in China and around the world, offering an ever-expanding library of 30,000 Simplified Chinese books and 6,000 English books.
In addition to English and Chinese, Luka's manufacturer, Ling Technology, has developed other language variants including Spanish, German, Korean and Dutch. We are working to make some of those language packages available for this U.S. Luka. In the future, these language packages may be available for remote download, so that your Luka could become multilingual.
What is the Luka user experience like, and what are its limitations? Check out JoJo founders' personal in-depth product review here and watch the video review below:
We like that Luka is simple enough for a 3-year-old to operate and engaging enough for an 8-year old to spend hours reading with it!
We like that Luka can read with our children when we are cooking dinner. And we like to take Luka on the go when our children have fragments of time waiting between soccer practices. We believe Luka is capable of giving our children more Chinese exposure, while creating a unique physical book reading experience.
Book Sets for Luka
Luka's super power is reading the pages of Chinese picture books. If you already have a collection of Simplified Chinese books, just connect Luka to the internet and you will be on your way.
If you don't have many books already, we think one or two sets from these hand-picked recommendations would be a good start:
Monthly Book Subscription for Luka
To further fuel your child’s excitement for reading, and to build your family’s Chinese book library, consider our monthly picture book subscription. We deliver world class children's literature in Simplified Chinese to your door every month.
Important to know before you order
We are currently the only authorized partner and retailer selling the Luka North American version. There are different Luka versions that serve different regional markets, for example, a Luka available in Germany that speaks German and English.
About the North American Luka sold by JoJo Learning:
- Reads over 30,000 Simplified Chinese books and 6,000 English books
- Interacts in Chinese and English
- Has the ability to add other language packages through remote software download in the future.
- 24-hour customer service response
- 14-day no-questions-asked return
- 1 year warranty
How is this North American Luka different from the Luka sold in mainland China, which also reads Chinese and English books?
- Selection of books: Luka versions sold in mainland China include certain curriculum and books tailored to native Chinese children. The book selection of this North American Luka emphasizes books for non-native Chinese speakers who are learning to speak and read in Chinese.
- The North American Luka may have the ability and support to add other languages packages through remote software download in the future
- The North American Luka provides U.S. local customer service, return and warranty support
- The North American Luka can be shipped to other English speaking countries outside of the U.S. and Canada
What Other Parents Are Saying About Luka
Pediatrician, mom and founder of CHALK Academy, Betty Choi, recently wrote this detailed review of Luka, "Luka Reading Robot is a Game Changer for Bilingual Chinese-English Speaking Families".
More About Luka:
To learn more about the reading skill and other features of Luka, watch these product videos from Ling Technology.
Let Luka enable your child to read more.Happy learning!