We love this beautiful, high quality card game 汉字小的时候-甲骨文配配卡 (jiǎ gǔ wén pèi pèi kǎ)! It teaches children and adults alike Chinese characters by showing Chinese characters' transformation from their original picture forms (ancient oracle bone scripts) to their modern character forms.
Inspired by his 3-year-old daughter, creator 刘良鹏 , a scholar of oracle bone scripts, created a series of award-winning books and games to not only teach young children Chinese Characters in a fun, engaging way but also the interconnections within the world around.
This game makes a perfect gift companion to the Chinese Character Guess and Learn 2 book set: 汉字是画出来的 Like Pictures, Like Chinese, and 汉字是拼出来的 Like Puzzles, Like Chinese.
The 甲骨文配配卡 game includes:
- 108 cards, 36 Chinese characters
- 4 themes: Nature and Earth; People and Home, Wild Animals and Plants
- 3 forms for each character: modern written form, a picture of the object, and the oracle bone script that bridges the picture to its modern character.
How to Play?
1. Matching game: Divide the cards into themes, and match each picture with its oracle bone script and Chinese character.
2. Memory game: turn the cards to find 2 or 3 matches
3. Guessing game: show a picture card, and guess the Chinese character that it matches to.
4. Spot It game: spot the objects on the card in your child's environment, for example 山 (shān , mountain) ; 门 (mén, door).
Parents, teachers, and children have created many new ways to play this game. Let your creativity fly!
Please note that there is NO English manual inside this game and there are no Pinyin pronunciation cards. You may scan a QR code on the enclosed Chinese manual to watch a tutorial video in Chinese, but this game is best suited for families where at least one individual is familiar with these common Chinese characters.