Originally published in: Taiwan
Format: board book with audio CDs
Language: Simplified Chinese
No. of Pages: 16
Lines per page: 0-5 short lines
Price per book(one audio CD included for each book): $13.83
Audio book: companion CDs
In the west, we take rhyming children's books for granted. In Chinese, however, high quality rhyming children's books are honestly quite hard to find! This set is one of the rare exceptions. It rhymes in a rhythm recognizable to the ear of an English-speaker, while still sounding fluent and culturally-authentic to the Chinese ear.
Why do we love this set?
- Vocabulary Relevant to Kids' Daily Lives: These rhymes discuss things that little kids do and see every day. Topics include: waking up, going to sleep, putting on socks and shoes, using the potty, waiting for traffic lights, meowing cats and barking dogs, sneezing, etc.
- Culturally Authentic: Several of these rhymes are adapted versions of traditional Chinese rhymes.
- Simple and Repetitive: Each rhyme is only one to two lines, composed of 3 or 4 character phrases. When you listen to the music track each line is repeated multiple times.
- High Quality Music: Unlike some other Chinese children's music, these CDs sound contemporary and incorporate fun instruments to give each song a different feel.
- Adult and Child Narrators: CDs feature both adults and child singers.
Great for the Car: Each CD has 8 rhymes, about 2 minutes for each rhyme (first minute includes the voice, second minute is instrumental karaoke version. CDs can be neatly stored in a slot with the corresponding book and kept in the car for on-the-go Chinese practice!
- Sing-a-long Track: As mentioned above, following each original track is an instrumental karaoke version that you child can independently sing along with.
If you want to know what other families think of the books in this particular set, check out mom, pediatrician and blogger, Betty Choi's review of these books here.
If your child is ready to recognize sight words, point your finger at each character as you read or listen to the rhymes. You may be surprised by how quickly your child will recognize some seemingly complicated Chinese characters.
《早安晚安-zǎo ān wǎn ān》Good Morning, Good Night!
《小雨滴-xiǎo yǔ dī》Little Raindrop
《牛来了-niú lái le》The Cows Are Coming
Is my child ready for this set?
"Read to me":
Babies and children ages 0-3 will enjoy having these books read to them and listening to the companion audio CDs. Additionally, Luka, the reading companion reads the book《早安晚安》Good Morning, Good Night! in this set.
"Read by myself":
The limited text per page, and the prevalence of repetitive common, rhyming language, makes this series ideal for beginning readers ages 3-5.